Thursday, December 2, 2010

Super Hero Loses....Evil Arch Nemesis Wins!!

I’m always interested in reading about random acts of kindness.
Someone who will go out of their way to help a stranger, and receive nothing in return.
I came across an article the other day that I found interesting.
There is a magazine that prints its monthly issues on t-shirts.

Yea, a t-shirt.

If you are a subscriber, they will mail you a t-shirt once every month with the magazine printed on it.
Well, the editors of this mag, decided to do a promotional stunt.
What you had to do was dress up in a super hero costume, and do a random act of kindness. Video it, and then post what you did on you-tube. The video that received the most hits, and what the editors rate as the best “artistic merit”, would be declaired the winner of $1,000.00. The time limit was one month.

The title of the contest was “I am a Shining Star”, and invited everyone to unleash their inner superhero. In the end, only 10 videos were submitted, but the mag did catch the eye of the major news media. Some videos were funny, some gave you the warm fuzzys, and some were somewhat odd, and made you scratch your head.

The winner, a wannabe superhero figured out a way to deceive the editors. It seems that in you-tube, you can purchase views. Pay people to look at your video. And thats what this guy did. The editors didn’t realize the service existed. They were just looking at a crazy way to inspire people to do acts of kindness. They tried to reason with the winner, and to get him to concede, but as they described it, “His mask was on too tight and clouded his judgement.” The judges hands were tied and they were forced to pay over the prize money.

The winner obviously wasn’t a “SHINING STAR”, but the superheros evis nemesis.
The judges did give all the contestants a free years subscription to the magazine.

I guess it never fails. There’s always one in every crowd. The guy looking to scam the system, and get something for nothing. You would think the editors could shame him into not taking the money. but I guess some people have no shame.

Have you ever volunteered, or done a random act of kindness?