Sunday, December 26, 2010

Part-time Backhoe work

I've added a backhoe to my wish list. Its something that would really be a time and labor saver here on the farm. Its a toy someday I would like to buy.


A couple of years ago, I found a unique use for one.......

A friend of the family died. For whatever reason, the day before the funeral, the grave digger became unavailable. It became the family's responsibility to find a new one. They had a list of names, and began calling people. As Panic started setting in, a individual was found. A crisis was averted.

A short time later, I asked a family member what the going rate for digging a grave costs. "He charged around 300 dollars," was the reply .

Three hundred dollars for a half days work, I thought. Not bad.

If I had a backhoe, this is what I would do. I would print up some business cards, and get a business license. In Indiana, a business license costs 25 dollars. Then I would visit every undertaker within 50 miles. Give him my card, and talk to him about digging graves. Also, any church with a graveyard, not located in town, I would stop and talk to the pastor. I figure I could get 3 or 4 jobs a month. Roughly a thousand dollars for 3 or 4 half days work.

After I wrote this article, I made some phone calls. I found out, its not the undertakers job to get the grave dug. In most towns, there are grounds keepers that do it. But there are lots of cemeteries in the countryside.

Do you have a bobcat, or backhoe? Put it to work 1 or 2 days a month.....