Friday, December 17, 2010

Home Decor Candles

I work with a guy who came around the other day, and asked me if i wanted to buy a bear.
"What are you talking about?" I replied, "a Teddy Bear?" "Yes, but its been dipped."
"Whats a dipped bear?" I said. I had no idea what he was talking about!

He then explained to me all about dipping bears.


"Why not sell candles?" I asked him. "Why go through the trouble of dipping bears when candles would seem to be a quicker and easier way to make money." He replied, "Because B. has been selling candles here in the factory for a while, and I don't want to undercut her. Besides, the bears are my own product that I make from scratch."

"Are candles really that big a seller?" I asked dumbfounded. "Yes," he answered.
"B. is selling about a thousand dollars a month."

"In candles?!!" I asked shocked.

He whispered, "Her high month was over 2000 dollars....to people here in the factory."
"I can't believe those numbers." I said.
He answered, "Women are big candle buyers, and B. has a pretty good business selling them to the ladies here."
He then stated that that was gross sales, and he didn't know what her commission was. But still, she was doing a thriving side business. There are about 100-150 people in my factory department.

I had never noticed B. before, but I started paying attention to her. Whenever she wandered over to my machine. She always had samples, and new fragrances. She would pause and talk about candles, and show the new scents she had. Laughing and telling jokes, the ladies (and guys) would buy. She was low key in her sales pitch, not pushy. Happy to show candle samples.

I could tell she was selling something she loved. and was making money doing it.

Have you ever noticed, in almost every store you go in, there is a section dealing with candles?


I always figured with the market saturated, a individual doesn't have a chance. I guess B. proved me wrong. If you love what you're doing, it will show. And you will make sales.


And a part-time income.....



Have you ever considered selling anyhing on the side? Avon, Mary Kay, Candles, Pampered Chef or a number of others?
Start small, and build the business up. The money will follow...