Friday, December 31, 2010

Mowing lawns

One day my grandfather called up, and asked if I would be able to chauffeur him to the business meeting at his church the next Saturday night. He said his eyes were going bad, and it would really be appreciated if I could help him out.


Mom and Dad had moved to Florida the previous year. I loved the old man, and always enjoyed helping him out whenever I could. I didn't have any plans anyway, so I agreed. The business meeting occurred once a month, and I became a regular, driving grandpa and grandma to the meeting.

As winter turned to spring, the church had a problem. They didn't have anyone to mow the graveyard. The man that mowed the graveyard the previous year had turned the job down. I was approached, and asked if I would be interested in the job. I agreed. It paid 15 dollars. I figured my total time involved would be about 2 - 3 hours. I would be making around minimum wage. The graveyard was divided into 2 sections. The older section was a old Lutheran graveyard. I mowed the newer Baptist section.

I asked grandpa one day, "who mowes the old section." He didn't know. How could I find out? He replied that I would need to talk to the county trustee. So I hoped in the car, and drove 45 minutes to the county seat to see the trustee. Of course she wasn't in her office that day. But I did get a phone number. The next day I called the trustee up. She said that there was a mentally handicapped man who mowed the older section of the graveyard. The work gave him self esteem, and a little pocket money. I was out of luck. She would however take my name, and if anything changed or new work came up, she would call me.....


I was a trustee at my church. We have members who volunteer to mow the church grounds. There is a sign-up sheet. During one meeting, it was noticed that people were not signing up to mow the church yard. One trustee suggested that if no one volunteered, his father-in-law could mow the lawn for $100.00. The motion was made and passed that if there were no volunteers to mow the grass at the church, this gentleman would be called. (for a fee of $100.00).....

Ever considered mowing a graveyard? or a church? commercial property? Its an easy business to run. I'm sure there are ads in your local paper. Lawnmowers seeking jobs . There is always room for one more. All you need is a mower and a weed eater. Print out some business cards, and start knocking on doors.





Free Stuff For Baby! - Free Diapers, Baby Wipes, Baby Formula, and Much Much More at FreeStuff4Baby.com!