Sunday, December 26, 2010

Rental Property Down Payments

I was looking at purchasing a duplex.  The price was reasonable, however, I didn't have any down payment.  The mortgage payment was around $300.00 per month. I asked the real estate agent. "Would the owner be willing to take a second mortgage?"  The owner agreed. Both sides of the duplex rented for $300.00 a month.  So my profit was $300.00 a month.  The second mortgage worked out to $300.00 a month also.

The second mortgage would take all my profit.  I would be breaking even till the second mortgage was paid off.  However I figured I would still come out ahead in taxes. Plus remember, they were making my house payment.  The deal was made, and I purchased the duplex.   About 3 years later, the second mortgage was paid off.  I then was able to put $300.00 per month in my pocket.  I didn't have any problems renting this duplex.  Over the years its been a cash cow.