Friday, December 31, 2010

Learn to Fly

I was a 20 something young man,
flush in cash and time. I had a dream of flying. So one day I hopped in the car, and drove to the airport. I signed up for flying lessons.

You solo after 10 hours. It takes 40 hours to get your license. It was fun, and it opened up the big city to me. Instead of taking hours to drive to chicago, I could be there with a short hop in a plane. I flew there often.
I was spending 2 -3 afternoons a week at the airport. One afternoon the secretary asked, Have you ever considered a career in aviation?

Whats involved? I asked.
She said,
First, get your license. Then after around a hundred hours you can get your instrument rating. After getting a instrument rating, its just a few hours more to get your commercial license. Then you can get paid. Most people become instructors. Being a instructor allows you to build up your hours. With enough hours you can make the jump to cargo planes, or be a corporate pilot. One guy started here and now has a job flying cargo to Atlanta. The big airlines won't look at you until you have at least 2000 hours. Several people started here like you, and are now commercial pilots. If you want it, it can be done.

I'll think about it. I said

Ever considered a aviation career? You don't need a college degree. A couple of days a month, and you can get your pilots license. It will take you as far as you want to go.

And the rest of my story? I had about 125 hours flight time, when I got into a argument with the airport manager. He screwed up, he admitted it. But would he make it right? The answer was no.
No problem, I replied. I walked out, and never returned.