Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chainsaw Sharpening

I ran into an old retired farmer friend while in town this morning. I hadn't talked to him in quite a while. I suddenly remembered that he used to have a old sign on his barn that read, "Sharpenings Done Here".


The reason I thought of that sign, was that my weedeater blade needed sharpening. I have a gas powered weedeater. I don't like string. I have always struggled with weedeat string. One day a couple of years back, after being angered by a weedeater with string, I went out and bought a blade. I threw out the string and put a blade on the weedeater, and swore I would never use string again.

Son has mowed the yard a couple of times this spring. My wife has been getting on me to do the trim. So last week, I fired the weedeater up, and started trimming. The problem was, the blade was so dull it was pathetic. I struggled to cut the grass. When I finished, I told se wife it will need to be sharpened before trimming again.

Thus, when I ran into my farmer friend, I thought perhaps I could get the blade done at minimum cost. He said he hadn't sharpened anything in a couple of years, but if I would bring the blade over he would take a look at it. I replied that sometime in the next week I would stop by.

On the drive home it occured to me.....

If he isn't in the business anymore, maybe he would be willing to sell the business to me. I also speculated that I could get it for a song. He would probably be willing to teach me the ins and outs, shortcuts and secrets of the sharpening business. The biggest amount of business would be for chainsaw sharpening. It seems to me, this is a part-time business you could do in your spare time. The only advertising needed would be a sign in the yard and word of mouth.

I'll talk to the old man. If his equipment is gathering dust in his barn, maybe we can make a deal. we'll see.....

I checked into chainsaw sharpening years ago. Foley Belsaw has the best program, but I never pursued it. If you think it sounds interesting, Google Foley Belsaw to get to their website, and check it out..