Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cut Wood for Pay

I used to burn wood.  I don't anymore. I think its work, cutting the wood, sharpening the chain, keeping the fire in the house lit. When I had one, I filled the house with smoke about once a month.  I burned wood back in the 80's.  Wood burners have come a long way since then, and house smoke isn't a issue anymore. Also, maybe I didn't know what I was doing.

My ex-wife had a friend that put the wood burner in the garage.  They piped the heat in, and heated their whole house.  They now make wood burners you can set in the yard, and heat your home with hot water piped under the floor.  A guy I work with does this. He said he lives in a old farm house and its the only way to go. I cost him 10,000.00 dollars to set the system up, and he loves it.  When I sold my old house, I was glad to be rid of the wood burner, and have never had another since. With the rising price of gas, I've considered putting one in, but my wife will have no part of it.

When I had my wood burner, there were times I grew tired of cutting wood. There are several saw mills in my area. From time to time, I would go and pick up a load of cut wood from the mills.

One time I didn't feel like going to the saw mill, and didn't have any cut wood to burn. I called my cousin who cut wood all the time, and asked for a truck load of fire wood.  He said he had plenty of extra, and would sell me a load for $50.00.  I agreed,  and he delivered the wood.

Do you have a chainsaw?
Enjoy getting outdoors in the fall and winter?
You can leave cut wood stacked up for years.
Leave it set till you have a buyer.

I've never had a problem finding wood to cut.
People are always asking me if I know someone who would want some wood,
because they want a woods cleared out, or a tree taken down.
Cut the wood in your spare time. 

A couple of times, friends have had trees fall down,
and needed someone to come and cut the tree up. 
Its a service you could provide. 
This is the way one guy started a tree trimming service. 
His neighbors needed trees trimmed.
He had the only chainsaw, and was asked if he could help.
In my area, a cherry picker rents for about $100.00 a day.
Line up the work, take one day a week, and cut trees!

P.S.  after cutting the tree down, and billing the customer,
you get to keep the wood.  Sweet.