4-H is the largest non-school youth program in the world. It’s a hands-on educational program led by volunteers. In 4-H, the child can learn new skills through projects and raising animals outside of the classroom setting. Many livestock projects can be taken through local clubs, or non-livestock projects can be taken through county clubs.
Members are required to complete a project and display it at the county fair where the 4-H’er can earn a ribbon and possibly state fair honors. The local county extension office should have information about local clubs, meetings, and the leaders to contact.
The 4-H pledge is:
I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
my heart to greater loyalty,
my hands to larger service
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
The official 4-H emblem is a green four-leaf clover with a white H on each leaf standing for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. White and green are the 4-H colors. The white symbolizes purity and the green represents growth.
When I was growing up, I always thought 4-H was reserved for farm families, and I lived in town. But that’s not the case. Anyone can join 4-H and the number of clubs and categories are extensive. There is something for everyone. From cake decorating, gift wrapping, electronics, fine arts, gardening, genealogy, library, crafts, photography, sewing, weather, woodworking, wildlife, and for those interested in animals, there is beef, cat care, dairy, dog obedience, goats, horse, llama, poultry, rabbit, sheep, and swine. It really is a good deal for the kids, and can be a positive experience for them.
Back when stepson T. was in grade school, I talked him into joining 4-H. He wanted to raise and enter a rabbit in the 4-H competition. We looked in the paper, found a mini rex rabbit for sale, and purchased him. I built a hutch. The Rabbit Club met once a month. Each month they discussed something different dealing with rabbits. One month, it was the hutch. The next month it was breeding your rabbit, and raising the young. As the county fair drew near, the last couple of months, they discussed how to show your rabbit.
T. was given a workbook, which doubled as a guide book too. The workbook listed helpful hints on raising and showing the rabbit. It contained log sheets, where he could record everything he did with the rabbit. T's rabbit took 3rd place at the fair. He was happy, and had fun with the rabbit for years later….
The last time mom and dad was in town for a visit, I chauffeured them over to mom's brother for a visit. Uncle B. is a farmer. A hog and cattle man his whole life. After a nice afternoon visit, as we were getting ready to leave, uncle B. asked us to stay for dinner. "I just put a beef in the freezer." He said. "One of yours?" dad asked. "It’s a 4-H beef" he replied. "I paid a little extra for it, but I don't mind. It’s for a good cause, and the money goes to the kids."
Free Stuff For Baby! - Free Diapers, Baby Wipes, Baby Formula, and Much Much More at FreeStuff4Baby.com!