Sunday, January 10, 2010

Repairing Equipment

D. walked in the breakroom, and set down beside me. Hey D., someone hollered from across the room. Did you get your lawn mowed this morning?
"Nah", he answered, "I mowed it yesterday, but I didn't weed eat it. The weed eater was a piece of junk. I couldn't get it started, so I threw it in the trash."


"That was a new weed eater", J. answered. "You told me the other day you just purchased it." "It was junk," D. replied.      J. then yelled, "Before you throw anything in the trash again, call me first!"

D. then got up and left the room.    J.  turned to me and said, "D. is a hothead. He is always throwing perfectly good stuff in his trash."

D. lived in town. A couple of miles from the factory. I made a mental note to find out what his exact address was. I could do a drive-by on trash day mornings, and inspect his garbage. The detour could be worth it.....

Mom calls it Junk'in.

Whenever dad goes anywhere, he pays attention to what people set out in the trash. He repairs and fixs all sorts of things.

Then he resells it.
Mom commented once, " you would be surprised at what people throw out."

Have you ever stopped along side the road and examined someone's trash? Or picked something up?   One mans trash is another mans treasure.

UPDATE.... I talked to a guy I work with, who used to be a banker. He's not mechanically inclined. As I told him this story, he nodded in agreement. He then said, When I put something out for the trash, I always have someone stop and look. People are always picking up my broken items. This made me wonder, How broken are they? Are they really trash? Or broken? I will have to add his house to my inspection route. Or better still, have him to tell me before he sets anything out.