Friday, January 8, 2010

Baseball Cards

I used to own a gas station/mini mart.

One day while working behind the counter, a man stopped in, and purchased a single pack of baseball cards.
I was selling them for a quarter a pack.
He opened the pack and began to recite prices of the cards as he removed them from the pack.
This one is worth 5 cents.
This card will cover the cost of my purchase, its worth 25 cents.
This card is worth 10 cents.
This card isn't worth anything.
He went through the entire pack.
Then he purchased a second pack and did the same thing.

I'm impressed, I said.

He replied, I was big into baseball cards when I was a kid,
and then added, I still am.
He then said, my closet is waist high in baseball cards....
cartons and packs.
I am going to pay for my kids college education by selling and swapping baseball cards.

I looked at him in disbelief.
Is that possible? I asked.

Sure is, he said, and I'm going to do it.

Baseball Cards are big business.
I think everyone has heard a story about someones mom throwing out a guys stash of baseball cards.

I was never into cards as a kid.
But after that guys visit,
I purchased a couple of boxes.
They now sit on a shelf in my basement.

I was down in my basement puttering around the other day,
and I spied my cards.
They are now over 20 years old.
Are they valuable?
Do I have a Mona Lisa boxed up and sitting on a shelf in my basement?
Someday I may find out.

Do you save or collect anything?
Whats your area of expertise?