My first wife,(soon to be ex-wife's) family decided to have a family reunion. It was to be located in a town a couple of hours away. I dutifully loaded the car with pies and deserts, and away we went. Ex's cousin was married to a cellphone executive and he had accepted a promotion in a major metro area.
He was leaving the next week, and the family was to follow soon. The school year was ending, and a offer had been made on a house. When the details were done, kids and wife would join him.
I asked him what he did at the cellphone company. He said he was the division president, and was accepting a corporate vip job. He asked where we lived, and I stated that I had just built a house on 20 acres.
He asked if I had ever considered placing a tower on my property. I said no, but added "what would be involved in placing a boosting tower on my land?" He replied that all you need is a access road and one acre to place the tower on. Of course service personnel would have to visit the tower from time to time. "We're always looking for new places to set towers" He stated. "We pay $800 a month."
I thought, "that would be 800 a month for the rest of my life!"
I quietly walked over to ex, and mentioned the idea of setting a tower on our property. "He's leaving next week" she said. "Wait till things settle down then talk to him." After we got home, she started yelling something about microwaves, electric lines, brain damage, and strangers running amuk over our property. After her outburst, I never mentioned the idea again.
But I never forgot.
I've long since lost the exec's last name, and have no idea how to contact him. I keep planning on doing a Internet search for information on towers. Its on my to-do list. I think setting a tower in the back corner of the property would be a great idea, and a passive money maker too. But I wonder, with the explosion of cellphones in the last couple of years, am I to late?.....
My son has taken up hunting. Ex now lives on 5 acres with a woods bordering her property. Son went and talked to the property owner about hunting on his land. "Sure", he answered, "for twenty-five dollars, I'll let you set a tree stand in there. But you can only hunt with a bow and not a shotgun." Ex paid the twenty-five bucks for son, and he has spent a lot of time after school this winter setting in a tree trying to get a deer.....
I work with a guy who rents his 40 acres to hunters. He advertises his property and guys come from all over. He brags that he makes hundreds of dollars each year......
How about it? Do you have some undeveloped land you can put to use?