Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Walking Sticks

I ran into an old friend the other day, who invited the wife and myself to his house. While we were there, he showed me several walking sticks that he had carved out.  He then opened a couple of books on carving, and he showed me pictures of some of his future projects. He also explained the degree of difficulty of each, and what would be involved in each project.  He said he's a member of the local carving club.  They meet once a month, and the club covers different topics on carving.  They also trade ideas, tools, and pieces of wood to carve. I was impressed with his walking sticks, and could tell he loved carving. He's around 70 years old, and retired once, but his company called him back to work, and he went back.  He's talking about retiring a second time. The walking sticks are something he works on in his spare time.

I thought a walking stick would be made out of oak, but he said no, oak was to hard. He uses a soft wood. Thereby making it easy to carve. He said he carves them and gives the finished sticks as gifts to friends and family.  He tailors each walking stick to the individual.
I asked if he ever considered selling them on eBay or at a flea market.
He replied that he doesn't have the time, or want to start a business carving walking sticks.

His walking sticks were beautiful. I felt that if he advertised a little bit. he would get the business. This is a niche he excels in, and could turn it into a steady income maker.  But he's content, and happy and not looking to start up a new business at his age. 

Along the same line, I work in the factory with a lady who knits on her breaks. The afghans, and shawls she creates, she gives to her friends and family.   I asked if she ever considered selling on eBay. She said yes she had considered it, but didn't want to do it.  She was happy knitting for friends and family. Working at her own pace and time and giving each piece her own personal touch.

Do you have a hobby where you create something?  Have you ever considered selling your item?