I picked up one of those weekly gossip magazines the other day, and browsed through the want ads in the back. I noticed there were several ads for recipes.
You've seen them. Grandma's secret recipe for pecan pie. Mouth watering great. Send me two dollars, and I will reveal the family's private recipe.
It reminded me of when I was a boy, and dad made a candy out of mashed potatoes. It wasn't something he did very often, so when he did make it, it was a treat. He added ingredients to the mashed potatoes, and then rolled it into a log. After it set a short time, he cut the log into bite size pieces.
I phoned dad and we discussed his candy. He told me how he made it, and we brain stormed different variations that could be made.
It makes me wonder.....
Do those recipe ads in magazines make any money? You see the same ad every week in the magazine. I think if the ad didn't make money, it wouldn't keep reappearing. Also, could you back sell anything along with the recipe? Offer a cookbook? Cooking utensils? A recipe of the month club? Could it be made into a gift basket?
Locally, a lady sells caramels every year at Christmas. She makes and sells bite size pieces rolled in cellophane. I was told she always sells out.....
A local church sells cheese balls every spring. It has become such a big seller, they now advertise in the local paper and sell thousands......
I read that Paul Newman's salad dressing started out with him giving it away to family and friends......
I have a friend that has a secret family recipe for barbecue. He turned it into a full time job. Check out the Grilling and Barbecuing article written December 2010.
Do you have a old family secret recipe?