I get emails from several Internet gurus. I've learned a lot from them about marketing, and business. One guy specializes in how you can make a few bucks fast. He recently tried mystery shopping, and made 200 dollars in a week. He then sat down and wrote a Ebook about his experience. It sells for twenty seven dollars. I'm sure the guy has made a lot of money from his book. (and no, I didn't buy the book).
I looked at mystery shopping a few years ago, but I live in a rural area, and have always assumed mystery shopping was reserved for the major metropolitan areas. Well this guru, as a teaser to buy his book, set up a web page where you can enter your zip code, and see the mystery shopping opportunities available. I entered my zip code, and surprise, there were over 50 mystery shop jobs available within 30 miles.
I sent the guru a email. I asked him if his book covered mystery shopping with just one company. He sent me a email back saying no, that to be a good mystery shopper, you should sign up with about 4-6 companys.
OK, time to do my research.
I googled "mystery shopping".
In a forum, I read that some mystery shopping companys are slow or skip paying their shoppers. This made me leery to sign up with just any company I found on the Internet. Also I didn't want to give some fly-by night company my personal information.
I then discovered a mystery shopping association. They have a job page. Member companys list jobs that need to be done. I figured members of this association must be legit. To double check the companys, I googled the company name and "scam", to see what came up. Then from the association job page, I copy/pasted member web site URLs. I signed up to be a mystery shopper at 4 of the sites.
I always expected mystery shopping involved restaurants, and not much else. Within 24 hrs, I had my first job. Mystery shop a bank in my local town. The company gave me 4 days to do the job. We normally go to town about once or twice a week. Its a 20 mile drive one way. I told my wife, we can combine the mystery shop job with our normal shopping trip. We can use mystery shopping to pay for our trip into town.
The job isn't that tough.
You do have to remember what is said. Sometimes the instructions will ask for quotes. You also have to have good observation skills. I had printed out everything about this banking mystery shop job and brought the information with me. I reviewed the guidelines several times, and nervously walked in the bank. After spending about 10-15 minutes talking with the banker, I left. When I got in the car, I filled all the forms out. I then picked up my wife from her shopping, and we went home. The instructions said I had 12 hours from the time I did the job to submit my paperwork. You have to follow the instructions to the letter or you don't get paid. The next day the company after review, approved my report.
The next week, another bank. 15 dollars for about 15 minutes work.
This week my wife wants to go Christmas shopping. I checked for available jobs with my companys. There is a fast food restaurant in town needing mystery shopped. I signed up, and was approved to do this job. When we go to town later this week, I will get a free meal, and also earn 20 dollars while my wife Christmas shops.
Will I get rich mystery shopping? No.
But can I earn a few bucks, and maybe cover the cost of my gas to drive to and from town? Sure.
I don't make special trips to mystery shop. I line them up to coincide with other trips we have to make. I asked my wife, Is it worth it to drive into town to mystery shop? For fifteen dollars? I decided my time is more important. However, when I do have to make the occasional journey to the city, I might as well earn gas money for the trek.
Can I earn $200.00 a week mystery shopping? Maybe if I lived in a larger metro area, and do 2 or 3 jobs a day. But its not possible in smaller towns and rural areas. Plus you have to consider the cost of gasoline.
Google MSPA, mystery shoppers providers association. Remember: You should never pay to get a job. Also don't buy into the idea you need to upgrade your status. Pay some cash and we'll make you a silver member. Cardinal rule number 1, never, never pay your employer!